FoodInnovate is a multi-agency initiative to equip Singapore-based companies with knowledge and resources to pursue food innovations, with a vision to position Singapore as a location of choice to create food for Asia.
FoodInnovate is led by Enterprise Singapore, and includes Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA), Economic Development Board (EDB), IPI Singapore, and JTC Corporation.
Four key strategies of FoodInnovate:
- Provide Infrastructure - Develop a network of shared facilities for companies to testbed new ideas and scale-up new products.
- Build Knowledge Base - Improve access and encourage learning of food innovation knowledge.
- Drive Co-Innovation - Create platforms for co-innovation opportunities among food companies, research institutes and overseas innovation clusters.
- Cultivate Disruptive Technologies - Develop an ecosystem to attract and groom food tech startups with innovative products or disruptive processing technologies.
On-going programmes and opportunities
- High Pressure Processing (HPP) Resource Sharing Facility
HPP is an advanced technology that extends product shelf-life without using heat, therefore preserving the nutritional value and sensorial quality of food products. This technology is suitable for products such as juices and paste, as well as ready-to-eat and ready-to-cook items.
The HPP Resource Sharing Facility is jointly set up by the Food Innovation Resource Centre and Warehouse Logistics Net Asia, with support from Enterprise Singapore. Launched in April 2018, the facility allows companies to access HPP technology under a pay-per-use model.
Click here to find out more about this facility.
- Companies who are keen to use the HPP Resource Sharing Facility can contact WLNA’s Mr Cham Kar Wah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Companies who are keen to seek advice on the technical know-how in product and process innovation when adopting HPP can contact FIRC’s Mr Joel Chan at email@example.com, and AVA’s Mr Ong Yi Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Food for Elders" Programme
Elderly nutrition is a topic of rising interest in the region. Seniors have specific dietary needs with a different set of nutritional requirements. Companies interested in elderly nutrition can tap on the "Food for Elders" programme, which brings together hospitals and nursing homes with food companies to co-innovate and develop food products for this growing market.
Companies can visit https://foodinnovate.ipi-singapore.org/innovation-call/food-for-elders for more information about the “Food for Elders” innovation call.
- Food Waste Valorisation
Across the industry, by-products produced as part of food manufacturing processes offer opportunities for conversion into usable products and savings. You can explore the Food Waste Valorisation programme, where Enterprise Singapore will work with industry to facilitate the development and adoption of new valorisation solutions.
Companies keen to find out more can contact Enterprise Singapore at email@example.com
- Food Innovation Product Award (FIPA)
Organised by the Singapore Food Manufacturers’ Association (SFMA), FIPA is a food innovation competition that encourages collaborations between the industry and Institutes of Higher Learning. Food manufacturers can partner students from the Food Science and Technology courses in Institutes of Technical Education (ITE), polytechnics and universities to develop innovative food products and market launch strategies. Participating teams will go through a nine-month structured innovation process that covers design thinking, food trends and market insights. The teams will develop their business capabilities, gain knowledge on consumer and market insights, and facilitate product commercialisation.
For more information, please visit www.fipa.com.sg